Chicken Cordon Bleu Calzones Recipe
These tempting puffs are an elegant alternative to a traditional chicken pie. The recipe combines the delicate flavor of chicken cordon bleu with the impressive look of beef Wellington. The individual pies are simple to serve...and cleanup is a breeze! —Kathy Gounaud Warwick, Rhode Island
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Additional milk, optional
- 1. Place chicken in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; cover with water. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. Add seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Drain chicken. Cut pastry sheets in half widthwise. On one side of each half, place a chicken breast, 1/4 cup mushroom mixture, two ham slices and one cheese slice. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges.
- 4. Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk if desired. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC