Chicken Continental for Two Recipe
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and the seasoning blend; sprinkle over chicken on both sides.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, garlic and capers; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Return chicken to the pan; carefully add the broth, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Combine the remaining cornstarch with the water until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken and mushrooms with rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Continental for Two(3)
Sort By :
To the lady with the amount of mushroom problem..if original recipe was for 4 and this is for 2...cut the mushroom amount in half. Doesn't take a math major for that. I will make this probably use the same same amount as original recipe as I am a mushroom lover and buy them every week.
This dish sounds wonderful, but the proportion of mushrooms is way out of line. The full recipe for 4 only uses 12 oz. of muchrooms, this one uses 40. Makes me distrust recipes on this site.
Has a very good taste & chicken was moist. I used canned mushrooms because that was what I had on hand, also didn't drain to make up for the juice I would have gotten from the fresh.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >