Chicken Continental for Four Recipe
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and the seasoning blend; sprinkle over chicken on both sides.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, garlic and capers; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Return chicken to the pan; carefully add the broth, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- 4. Combine the remaining cornstarch with the water until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken and mushrooms with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup mushroo: 354 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Chicken Continental for Four
"We love capers, mushrooms and balsamic vinegar so this rates high in our house!"
"Not sure if maybe I did something wrong or not ( I doubled the sauce and cooked the mushrooms seperate) but this dish had too much vinegar flavor... needed something to even it out."
"A little time consuming but the results were wonderful. I used both reg mushrooms and baby bella mushrooms, which worked well. I also needed a lot more cornstarch at the end to thicken up the sauce. Prob about 2 more tablespoons"
"Everyone in the family loves it."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.