- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and the seasoning blend; sprinkle over chicken on both sides.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, garlic and capers; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Return chicken to the pan; carefully add the broth, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Combine the remaining cornstarch with the water until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken and mushrooms with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Chicken Continental for Four
Sort By :
We love capers, mushrooms and balsamic vinegar so this rates high in our house!
Not sure if maybe I did something wrong or not ( I doubled the sauce and cooked the mushrooms seperate) but this dish had too much vinegar flavor... needed something to even it out.
A little time consuming but the results were wonderful. I used both reg mushrooms and baby bella mushrooms, which worked well. I also needed a lot more cornstarch at the end to thicken up the sauce. Prob about 2 more tablespoons
Everyone in the family loves it.