Chicken Church Casserole Recipe
- 20 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (2 pounds) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 6 jars (6 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 jars (4 ounces each) diced pimientos, drained
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 pounds process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In several large bowls, combine the chicken, macaroni, mushrooms, pimientos, onions and peppers. In another large bowl, combine the soups, cheese, milk, basil and lemon-pepper; add to chicken mixture.
- 2. Place about 12 cups mixture in each of four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over the casseroles. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 4 casseroles (12 servings each).
1 cup equals 271 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Church Casserole
"Fantastic recipe! I certainly would not consider this to be a heart attack on a plate either. Definitely comfort food on a cool evening. Try it and live a little, you will be glad you did."
"haven't tired it yet, would like to know if anyone has substituted velveeta cheese with real cheese"
"I don't think 2 lbs. Velveeta is very much when divided it into 48 servings."
"In response to Otis and Denniss: Yes, I did reduce this reciped by dividing it by 4. This would serve approx. 12. Ingredients are 5 cups chicken, 1/2 lb. macaroni, 9 oz. mushrooms, 2 oz. pimientos, 1/2 onion, 1/2 green pepper, 1 can celery soup, 1 can mushroom soup, 1/2 lb. Velveeta, 1/3 cup milk, 1 tsp. basil, 1/4 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning, 1/2 cup corn flakes, 1 Tbsp. butter. This makes an easy, delicious and satisfying dinner for everyone. Attention, Denniss: The reduced amount of cheese for just 12 servings is certainly acceptable for a nutritious meal since it's less than 1 oz per serving. I don't think you noticed that the original 2 lb of Velveeta was to serve 45 - 50. Enjoy!"
"Has anyone reduced this to a family size portion? I would love to make it but not for 45 to 50 people. Thanks!"
"I would substitute fat free milk and fat free soup. That would make it somewhat healthier but that 2 lbs. of Velveeta, well, not very good for the coronaries."
"FOR GOSH SAKES-------HOW CAN ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND RATE THIS AS "HEALTHY," THIS IS A HEART ATTACK ON A PLATE................."
"This is great for the senior crowd I live with here in St. James Senior apartments. I cut recipe in 1/2 and works out great..."