Chicken Chow Mein Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons julienned carrot
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chow mein noodles
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, salt and ginger until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the mushrooms, celery, onion, pepper and carrot in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir-fry 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 3. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice; sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup chow mein with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and 1 tablespoon chow mein noodles equals 307 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 984 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.