- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons julienned carrot
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chow mein noodles
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, salt and ginger until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the mushrooms, celery, onion, pepper and carrot in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir-fry 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice; sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken Chow Mein
"Excellent!!!! Could have fooled my husband if he hadn't seen me cooking. Served with hot Chinese mustard and noodles. Will make this often!!"
"I really like this recipe, however I much prefer Jasmine Rice. The nutty taste of Jasmine goes well with the Chow Mien although admittedly not as healthy as Brown Rice. Thanks for sharing."
"This is a D'lish dish! I can not wait to make it again."
"Very easy and tasty. Next time I would add almonds (or water chestnuts) and red pepper flakes."
"My other half is a chinese lover; so for him to love this recipe says a lot. We do love it."
"I have quite a few different chow mein recipes, but this one is definitely a cut above the rest. None of the flavors is overcome by the others. You can taste everything and the vegetables give the whole dish a very fresh quality. I didn't make any changes, but I did sprinkle some lightly salted cashews on top before serving. This is a keeper!!"
"tasted great! better the takeout chow mein and a whole lot healthier!"