Chicken Chorizo Posole Recipe
“I first tasted posole while visiting a friend in Santa Fe. It was a revelation! I have since been experimenting with many versions, and this one has become a much-loved tradition for my family. The leftovers are fantastic!"—Jennifer Beckman, Falls Church, Virginia
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, cut in half
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 whole garlic bulb, loose paper removed, cut in half
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 5 radishes, chopped
- 6 cups tortilla chips
- 1. Place the tomatillos, onion, jalapenos and garlic cloves on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until tomatillos are tender. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until blended.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, bring the water, broth, garlic bulb, cloves and bay leaves to a boil. Reduce heat; add chicken breasts and poach, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 3. Remove chicken from broth and shred. Strain broth, discarding seasonings. Crumble chorizo into Dutch oven; cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain. Return broth to Dutch oven. Stir in the hominy, 2 teaspoons lime juice, oregano, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, tomatillo mixture and shredded chicken; heat through. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro.
For salsa, in a small bowl, combine the mango, avocado, radishes and remaining cilantro, lime juice and salt. Serve with soup. Garnish with chips.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Prepare salsa and serve with soup. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup posole with 1/3 cup salsa and 2/3 cup chips equals 430 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 1,292 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC