Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 3 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups canned bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine soy sauce and brown sugar; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry onions and garlic in oil until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add celery, mushrooms and green pepper to skillet; stir-fry 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove with slotted spoon to bowl. Add chicken and marinade to skillet; stir-fry for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is no long pink. Return vegetables to skillet.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the bean sprouts, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice if desired.
1-1/2 cups: 308 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chicken Chop Suey
"Haven't made this recipe yet... but sure would be nice if you could add a photo of the finished meal. I only added a Rating because your site won't allow submission of my Comment without a 'Rating', so this rating is not a true reflection of anything. I was simply requesting a photo to the recipe. I never buy cookbooks which have no pictures."
"My family really enjoyed this dish; it was flavorful and filling. We added broccoli and carrots."
"Wonderful recipe! I too used broth instead of water and occasionally substitute sliced water chestnuts or bamboo shoots for bean sprouts. Can even skip the marinating when in a hurry. This is a definite "keeper"."
"WE loved it!!"
"Very adaptable to whatever you have on hand. I replaced the water with chicken broth and added some red pepper flakes. I also used fresh bean sprouts. Served over brown rice. This is a definite repeater."