Chicken Chop Suey with a Twist Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with mushrooms, celery, onion, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and edamame. In a small bowl, combine the broth, soy sauce, ginger and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into chop suey. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup: 178 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 739mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Chicken Chop Suey with a Twist
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.