Chicken Chop Suey with a Twist Recipe
If you’re in for a busy evening, here’s a great way to ensure you can still have a healthful supper. It’s tasty and traditional, and easy, too!
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with mushrooms, celery, onion, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and edamame. In a small bowl, combine the broth, soy sauce, ginger and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into chop suey. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Chop Suey with a Twist in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2012, p36
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken Chop Suey with a Twist(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Asian Dinners >
- Asian Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >