Chicken Chili with Black Beans
Because it looks different than traditional chili, my family was a little hesitant to try this dish at first. But thanks to full, hearty flavor, it's become a real favorite around our house. I like to serve it with warm corn bread. Jeanette Urbom, Louisburg, Kansas
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (1-3/4 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup chicken broth or beer
- In a Dutch oven, saute the chicken, red peppers and onion in oil for
- 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add the green chilies,
- garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes and broth or beer; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with chicken broth) equals 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch; also, 149 calories, 172 mg sodium, 33 mg cholesterol, 12 gm carbohydrate, 16 gm protein, 4 gm fat.