- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (1-3/4 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup chicken broth or beer
- In a Dutch oven, saute the chicken, red peppers and onion in oil for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add the green chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and broth or beer; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Chicken Chili with Black Beans
"Recipe is delicious as is! Definitely allow more time for food prep, but well worth it :)"
"I make this several times per year. The green chilies have to go...replaced with a mix of fresh poblanos, jalapenos, serrano, and red chili peppers (3 each - diced seeds included). Fire roasted diced tomatoes work well in this instead of stewed. The spices (coriander, cumin, and chili powder) I double. Adding a little corn meal will thicken it up so it sticks to your spoon the way chili should. It borders on spicy, but my kids can still eat it. I always know when autumn approaches, because my wife will request this be made."
"Yummy! We used green peppers instead of the red because that's what we had home. Definitely a keeper!~ Theresa"
"One of our favorite chili recipes. For a hotter version, I add 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper."