- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (1-3/4 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup chicken broth or beer
- In a Dutch oven, saute the chicken, red peppers and onion in oil for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add the green chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and broth or beer; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Chicken Chili with Black Beans
"I make this several times per year. The green chilies have to go...replaced with a mix of fresh poblanos, jalapenos, serrano, and red chili peppers (3 each - diced seeds included). Fire roasted diced tomatoes work well in this instead of stewed. The spices (coriander, cumin, and chili powder) I double. Adding a little corn meal will thicken it up so it sticks to your spoon the way chili should. It borders on spicy, but my kids can still eat it. I always know when autumn approaches, because my wife will request this be made."
"This was a very good base however needed a extra spice,cayenne, lime, beans and corn. Guess I turned chili into mexican veggie soup!I used ground chicken and boneless thighs.thanks for sharing !"
"Yummy! We used green peppers instead of the red because that's what we had home. Definitely a keeper!~ Theresa"
"One of our favorite chili recipes. For a hotter version, I add 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper."