This saucy lasagna is my adaptation of a chicken enchilada recipe. My husband and I enjoy the mild blend of seasonings, cheeses and tender chicken. The dish has become very popular with my co-workers after I shared leftovers one day for lunch. -Cindee Rolston, St. Marys, West Virginia
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), halved
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, onions, 1-1/2 cups Mexican-cheese blend, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and cilantro until blended. Stir in chicken; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, chilies, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining cumin.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with six tortilla halves, a third of the chicken mixture and a fourth of the cheese sauce. Repeat tortilla, chicken and cheese sauce layers twice. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese sauce and Mexican cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Chili Lasagna in Taste of Home April/May 2000, p25
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Chili Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review