Loaded with hearty beans and chicken, this zippy chili really warms us up on chilly winter nights.
7 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, yellow and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add beans,
- peppers, onion and seasonings. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add
- chicken; simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with cheese if desired.
- Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium chicken broth, chicken breast and without salt and cheese) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable; also, 183 calories, 68 mg sodium, 25 mg cholesterol, 28 gm carbohydrate, 17 gm protein, 2 gm fat.