- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in cream cheese until blended. Add jack cheese, chicken and green chilies; heat through, stirring to combine. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Prepare corn muffin batter according to package directions. Spread over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken Chile Relleno Casserole
"We thought it was just okay. It was "heavy" and had too much cornbread to filling. But the overall taste was generally good."
"The entire family loved this recipe! My pepper jack cheese contained both jalapenos and habaneros, so I used mild banana peppers from my garden instead of the poblanos called for in the recipe. Only used 1 box of cornbread mix and it was still wonderful. For a change of pace, skip the cornbread mix and layer the meat mixture with (torn) corn tortillas. This is a keeper!"
"This was so delicious! I added corn which just added to the dish. This will be a regular at my house."
"Excellent recipe. I brought it to a potluck and everyone requested the recipe."