- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed French bread
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, saute chicken in 2 tablespoons butter until no longer pink. Add broccoli, onion salt, thyme, rosemary and pepper; heat through. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In same skillet, toast bread cubes in remaining butter until lightly browned. In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk and soup; pour over bread cubes. Stir in chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Cheese Strata
Sort By :
My family and guests all loved this the first time I made it and have been asked to make it several times since. I used cream of mushroom soup instead of onion and instead of making everything in one skillet I toasted the bread in a cast iron dish, added the rest of the mixture from the skillet and baked in the cast iron dish. Quick, easy and tasty!
Quick and easy to make...my family LOVED it!
I halved the recipe and substituted chicken stuffing mix for the French bread which gave it more flavor. Needed more moisture too so I added a little more milk and cream of onion soup. I used cheese but don't see the point, I'd like it without. It was okay but nothing to write home about.
Excellent for such a quick and easy recipe. Even my 5 year old who hates broccoli gobbled it up, broccoli and all. To make it healthier I used whole wheat bread, non-fat milk (which worked fine), and omitted the first bit of butter to fry chicken in. Also used cream of chicken and wine soup and used a smidgen of cheese. YUM!
I used ground beef instead of chicken, and fresh broccoli rather than frozen. It was delicious!