- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed French bread
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, saute chicken in 2 tablespoons butter until no longer pink. Add broccoli, onion salt, thyme, rosemary and pepper; heat through. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In same skillet, toast bread cubes in remaining butter until lightly browned. In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk and soup; pour over bread cubes. Stir in chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Cheese Strata
"My family and guests all loved this the first time I made it and have been asked to make it several times since. I used cream of mushroom soup instead of onion and instead of making everything in one skillet I toasted the bread in a cast iron dish, added the rest of the mixture from the skillet and baked in the cast iron dish. quick, easy and tasty!"
"Excellent for such a quick and easy recipe. Even my 5 year old who hates broccoli gobbled it up, broccoli and all. To make it healthier I used whole wheat bread, non-fat milk (which worked fine), and omitted the first bit of butter to fry chicken in. Also used cream of chicken and wine soup and used a smidgen of cheese. YUM!"
"This looks so good!"