- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil and butter until tender. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn and chilies; bring to a boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add the milk, cheese and cumin. Cook and stir until cheese is melted (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Cheese Soup in Country Woman January/February 2003, p40
Reviews for Chicken Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2011
"This was really good. I added celery and carrots."
Reviewed Jan. 22, 2010
"This soup is great! I used roasted red peppers instead of the chilies. We all loved it. My husband is still talking about it. I guess I will be making this again soon."