Chicken Cassoulet Soup Recipe
After my sister spent a year in France as an au pair, I created this lighter, easier version of traditional French cassoulet for her. It uses chicken instead of the usual duck.—Bridget M. Klusman, Otsego, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:7 servings
- 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 pound cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or chicken broth
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, chicken, beans, carrots, onion, vermouth, bouillon, garlic, lavender if desired, thyme and fennel. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- 3. Divide among bowls; sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 494 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 1,821 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 34 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC