Chicken Cassoulet Soup Recipe
After my sister spent a year in France as an au pair, I created this lighter, easier version of traditional French cassoulet for her. It uses chicken instead of the usual duck.—Bridget M. Klusman, Otsego, Michigan
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 pound cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or chicken broth
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers, optional
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, chicken, beans, carrots, onion, vermouth, bouillon, garlic, thyme, fennel and if desired, lavender. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- 3. Divide among bowls; sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups: 494 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 1821mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Cassoulet Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC