After my sister spent a year in France as an au pair, I created this lighter, easier version of traditional French cassoulet for her. It uses chicken instead of the usual duck.—Bridget M. Klusman, Otsego, Michigan
Featured In: Say “Oui!” to Our Favorite French-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 pound cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or chicken broth
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers, optional
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, chicken, beans, carrots, onion, vermouth, bouillon, garlic, thyme, fennel and if desired, lavender. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- Divide among bowls; sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Chicken Cassoulet Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p69