The original old family recipe for this casserole called for the sauce to be made from scratch. Through the years, I developed this version that takes less time to prepare and still tastes great. It's an attractive main dish.
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups cooked wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in butter. Remove from the heat; stir in the chicken, mushrooms, olives, soup, milk and noodles.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle around edge of casserole; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Casserole in Reminisce Extra June 1993, p51
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review