- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups cooked wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in butter. Remove from the heat; stir in the chicken, mushrooms, olives, soup, milk and noodles.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle around edge of casserole; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Casserole
Sort By :
"First, the twice-listed-noodle error has been fixed.Second, to Melusine and naomi524: substitute for condensed cream of chicken soup: 2 ounces cooked boneless shredded chicken (white, dark or mixed), 3 tablespoons butter, 1 cup milk (at least 2% fat), 7 teaspoons cornstarch or 7 teaspoons potato starch, 1 gluten-free chicken bouillon cubeMelt butter in saucepan. Stir in starch, then milk. Add chicken and bouillon. Cook and stir until thickened. Season to taste. If you would have just used your search engine, this substitute recipe would have popped up faster than it took you to complain. If you also object to bouillon, reduce home-made chicken stock until very concentrated, then use that instead."
"I agree with the latest comment. Canned soups are far too salty, and have other questionable ingredients."
"I would love to have the original recipe. I don't like to use cream soups. They are not good for you."
"Really great dish!!! However I excluded the pimiento-stuffed olives and used Ritz crackers instead"
"My family loved this with a few minor changes according to what I had on hand. I used green onions, (whites and greens), and cheese crackers instead of corn flakes. Everyone wanted the edges where the crackers were. I also used a family size can of soup (26 oz.) for a double recipe and it worked fine. This is going in my recipe file!"