Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups cooked wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in butter. Remove from the heat; stir in the chicken, mushrooms, olives, soup, milk and noodles.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle around edge of casserole; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Casserole
Sort By :
I would love to have the original recipe. I don't like to use cream soups. They are not good for you.
Really great dish!!! However I excluded the pimiento-stuffed olives and used Ritz crackers instead
My family loved this with a few minor changes according to what I had on hand. I used green onions, (whites and greens), and cheese crackers instead of corn flakes. Everyone wanted the edges where the crackers were. I also used a family size can of soup (26 oz.) for a double recipe and it worked fine. This is going in my recipe file!
I found this to be a very tasty recipe which needed just a little tweeking. I thought the addition of the green olives was unique, so I doubled the amount. I also added black pepper and 1 tsp. of worcheshire sauce to overcome the blandness some reviewers mentioned. Cooking at 350 for 25 minutes indeed cooked it through until nice and bubbly. An enjoyable meal that I will make again.
This recipe was okay but not something that I would prefer. It was a little too bland and needs some spicing up.