Chicken Casserole Supreme Recipe
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 package (6 ounces) reduced-sodium stuffing mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the broth, apple and raisins. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until apple is tender. Stir in butter and stuffing mix. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook the chicken, mushrooms and onion in oil over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and soup.
- 3. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with broccoli and stuffing mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
2 cup: 390 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein
Reviews for Chicken Casserole Supreme
"It was OK, but the next time I'd use either cream of celery or cream of chicken soup, and also add a seasoning (like sage, that someone had suggested) to give it more flavoring. I also omitted the mushrooms since a member of my family doesn't care for them. Also I would mix the broccoli in with the sauce or layer it differently so none of of the broccoli would peek through the stuffing and get overdone. I used fresh broccoli and cooked it slightly in the microwave before I began cooking the rest of the dish. This recipe worked well to be cooked in two 8x8 pans, and the leftovers I reheated in the microwave the second night and tasted really good."
"I made this recipe as is. My kids loved it, and so did I."
"awesome, delicious you must make"
"This was first time I made this recipe and it was a big hit! I replaced the raisins with cranberries for my family. Everyone loved it in a family of 8."
"I am not usually a casserole lover, though I make them to be cost conscious. This was one of my favorites ever! I did change a couple things: didn't peel the apple and used 3/4 cup dried cranberries. Added about 1/2 tsp of sage and plenty of pepper to the chicken/mushroom mixture. Used cream of celery soup to give it some contrasting flavor and only used 3/4 cup sour cream so it wouldn't be too mushy. Also reduced broccoli by about a cup so it wouldn't overpower. Baked for 25 minutes so the topping was crunchy. Everyone loved it - even my 2 year old!"
"A casserole my hubby will eat!I substituted dried cranberries for the raisins."
"I live alone, so will be freezing some of it for later.Very good,would probably use less sour cream, next time."
"Have been preparing this Recipe for over 2 Decades. Had no idea a "special". I call it,"chicken Surprise".Use Any Vegetable if out of Broccoli.Try this again,anyway You'd prefer,just keeping Sodium Low is Best.Have Allergies,so Adjusted Ingredients Always~Dark Raisins,Garlic Powder in Place of Cloves.No Olive Oil because they All taste Bitter.Love the "Core" Recipe,Always."
"was okay .... nobody died but not worth making again"
"This was okay but not spectacular. I think it would be better with chopped up broccoli and maybe mix everything together instead of layering it."
"Overall a decent dish, but nothing spectacular. We ate it, but no one was too excited about it and the leftovers were hard to unload. Sorry to say it won't make the rotation. :("
"I truly did not care for this dish. I did find the stuffing/apple/raisin topping tasty, but the fat free sour cream mixed in which the chicken and broccoli was not a tasty combination. Won't be making this again, in fact, will be tossing the leftovers, unfortunately - as this was not cheap to make!"
"Delicious, 2 cup serving is very filling. Can't believe it only has 8 grams of fat per serving. Delicious!!"
"The casserole was wonderful. My family didn'T care for the Raisins in it. I chose to use Cream of Celery Soup as my son and I have an alergy to mushrooms. I would definately make it again, but omit the Raisins."