“This casserole is so satisfying on a cold day, and it gets even better the next day. I added apples and raisins on a whim and feel they really set this apart from other dishes.” —Judy Wilson, Sun City West, Arizona
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 package (6 ounces) reduced-sodium stuffing mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, apple and raisins. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until apple is tender. Stir in butter and stuffing mix. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook the chicken, mushrooms and onion in oil over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and soup.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with broccoli and stuffing mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Casserole Supreme in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p37
Reviews for Chicken Casserole Supreme
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review