- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups cooked wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in butter. Remove from the heat; stir in the chicken, mushrooms, olives, soup, milk and noodles.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle around edge of casserole; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Casserole
"Overall a pretty good casserole. I'm always looking for different ways to make them and this fit the bill with its green olives. I actually added a lot more green olives and cheese. Be careful not to overdo the noodles or it will be dry. This is meant to fit in a small casserole dish, not a 13 x 9 (oops)."
"I NEVER BUY CREAMED SOUPS ANY MORE. THERE IS SEVERAL RECIPES TO MAKE YOUR OWN CREAM SOUP MIX AND I KEEP THAT ON HAND ALL THE TIME. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE WITH IT IS IT IS A LITTLE MORE WATERY THAN SOUP OUT OF A CAN BUT I PUT UP WITH THAT OR ADD A LITTLE MORE CORNSTARCH TO THE SOUP MIX. I THINK IT SAVES LOTS OF CALORIES AND YOU CAN'T REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE TASTE . DONALEE2 I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE THE ORIGINAL RECIPE FOR THE HOMEMADE SAUCE ON THIS RECIPE."
"No mushrooms or olives, used bread crumbs instead of corn flakes. My husband says this is the best chicken casserole he's ever had. He does not care for casseroles, but this, he liked! I loved it, too! Wonderful flavor!!"
"First, the twice-listed-noodle error has been fixed.Second, to Melusine and naomi524: substitute for condensed cream of chicken soup: 2 ounces cooked boneless shredded chicken (white, dark or mixed), 3 tablespoons butter, 1 cup milk (at least 2% fat), 7 teaspoons cornstarch or 7 teaspoons potato starch, 1 gluten-free chicken bouillon cubeMelt butter in saucepan. Stir in starch, then milk. Add chicken and bouillon. Cook and stir until thickened. Season to taste. If you would have just used your search engine, this substitute recipe would have popped up faster than it took you to complain. If you also object to bouillon, reduce home-made chicken stock until very concentrated, then use that instead."
"I agree with the latest comment. Canned soups are far too salty, and have other questionable ingredients."