Chicken Carrot Pilaf Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, add the rice, carrots, onion, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook and stir until rice is browned and onion is tender.
- 2. Stir in broth. Place chicken over rice mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine and reduced-sodium broth) equals 362 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 755 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 vegetable.