- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Cooked pasta, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, peppers, garlic, celery and mushrooms in oil until onion is tender. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pound chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine ricotta cheese, green onions, Parmesan, parsley, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning; divide evenly and spoon on top of chicken breasts. Roll up; place seam side down in an 8-in. square baking dish. Spoon sauce over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with pasta if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Cannelloni
"Our family of 4 tried this recipe and everyone loved it! Very easy to prepare and tastes wonderful. It is definitely on our list of favorites!"
"This recipe was great and I will make it again. It's a shame it doesn't have 5 stars. Too bad "Carmelized" and Nonna 2U had to ruin the rating with their snobby and irrelevant nit picking."
"Nonna 2U and Carmelized I read the reviews to decide if my family would like certain recipes so I can make changes according to what other reviewers like and dislike. I don't want to hear that people didn't make it because it's too many calories or salt or fat etc.Or especially because it's not Italian enough for the name.Im southern but I don't care if somebody wants to call fried chicken southern etc.Your reviews did not help me at all if your not going to make a recipe fine move on. Now that being said my family liked this recipe and the only thing I changed was exclude the mushrooms.Thank you got sharing this recipe and pay no attention to the food police"
"Great recipe! Thank you! Sometimes I use homemade sauce that I make in huge batches and freeze to use for the next couple months, and sometimes I use a jar. The original recipe is really good to, but I don't usually ever have that much time to do it. And since my whole family would rather have homemade is why I make batches ahead and freeze.To Nonna2U, why don't you make your own cookbook or post your own recipes and see how good you are and what comments you get. Including the names, so make sure there are exactly correct and not based on your personal feeling, knockoff names, or cutesy ways of saying it. Or maybe it's just Nonna your business to be reading any recipes other than your old handed down recipes. (Which are probably good enough that you don't need to look at others). Get a new hobby besides picking on others choices."
"very good easy to make"
"Amazing!! I added spinach to the cheese mixture, and omitted tomato paste and diced tomatoes for a jar of sauce."
"This is a recipe site NOT a bi**hing site!! If you haven't even made this rated it and complained then buzz off!!! I can't stand people who judge before even trying the recipe!!!! I changed a few things just to make this easier for me. Loved, just loved the whole finished dish!! Thanks"
"This looks like a recipe that I would be happy to serve family and friends. I would never rate a recipe because of it's name! I will give it 4 stars and probably would go the full 5 stars once I have tasted it. I like thinking "outside the recipe"."
"I think this recipe is amazing!! Since I get home later in the evenings, I just used jarred spaghetti sauce to shorten the time. I have even tried roasted garlic alfredo with this recipe and it is wonderful.For those that are putting down someone else's food creation just because of the name they gave it...don't be rude."