- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Cooked pasta, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, peppers, garlic, celery and mushrooms in oil until onion is tender. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pound chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine ricotta cheese, green onions, Parmesan, parsley, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning; divide evenly and spoon on top of chicken breasts. Roll up; place seam side down in an 8-in. square baking dish. Spoon sauce over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with pasta if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Cannelloni
"very good easy to make"
"Amazing!! I added spinach to the cheese mixture, and omitted tomato paste and diced tomatoes for a jar of sauce."
"This is a recipe site NOT a bi**hing site!! If you haven't even made this rated it and complained then buzz off!!! I can't stand people who judge before even trying the recipe!!!! I changed a few things just to make this easier for me. Loved, just loved the whole finished dish!! Thanks"
"This looks like a recipe that I would be happy to serve family and friends. I would never rate a recipe because of it's name! I will give it 4 stars and probably would go the full 5 stars once I have tasted it. I like thinking "outside the recipe"."
"I think this recipe is amazing!! Since I get home later in the evenings, I just used jarred spaghetti sauce to shorten the time. I have even tried roasted garlic alfredo with this recipe and it is wonderful.For those that are putting down someone else's food creation just because of the name they gave it...don't be rude."
"This is great! I have made this several times for family and company, always to rave reviews. I do add a bit of garlic to the filling. One thing I have done when I need to shorten prep time, is to use a good jarred spaghetti sauce instead of making the one in the recipe. I usually use Muir Glen Organic Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce. That insures that there is enough sauce, too.And to those of you (Nonna2U) who down-rate a recipe because of what it is named?!? Seriously, get a life! Not only does doing something like that show what a petty person you are, but it skews the whole rating system for those of us that try find and to honestly rate recipes on this site according to how they actually turn out and taste. Rating a recipe is not about venting your personal feelings about silly things like how it is named. I think the editors of this website should remove those types of comments. (Also comments and ratings from people who have never made the recipe are useless and should be removed.)"
"Fabulous! This is a recipe that I will use often. I did double the sauce, but I like a lot of sauce when I'm serving over pasta. Thank you Barbara, for sharing this wonderful recipe."
"Just put this together, it's in the oven now! My kitchen smells soooo good! It was not difficult to put this together and if it tastes as good as it smells, this is gonna be a keeper!!! Will update with the final results!! I can wait!!!"
"the recipe was delicious. I didn't go in and make changes just reviewed as it was presented. As far as you other prissy reviewers....you should just concentrate on contributing your own instead of attacking others and pooh poohing this site and cheapening it with your comments"
"Barbara, This is delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Also love the name. I give it a 5 star. I also make extra sauce whenever I try a new recipe. ."