FROM its fruit roll-up comb to its licorice legs, this sweet treat is more than just chicken feed! It's a delectable dessert fit for an "egg-stra" fun birthday. You can make the feathered confection by shaping round cakes using a packaged mix like CT's home economists did. Then spread on homemade frosting and add goodies for decorations. We've included the directions you'll need to prepare the bir
12-15 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 cream-filled sponge cake
- 4 lemon-flavored or black licorice twists
- Shoestring black licorice (15 inches)
- 2 chocolate-covered peanut butter candies
- 1 red fruit roll-up
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Divide among six
- greased and floured muffin cups, a greased and floured 10-oz.
- custard cup and a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room
- temperature. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar
- and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture; beat until