Chicken Caesar Pitas Recipe
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Caesar vinaigrette
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1. In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, combine the first five ingredients; grind until mixture becomes fine. Rub over chicken.
- 2. On a greased grill, cook chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-in. strips. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, romaine and rice. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss to coat. Serve in pitas. Yield: 4 servings.
2 filled pita halves equals 398 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 919 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.