- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, cut up and juice reserved
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine or water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Hot cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Dust chicken with flour. Season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil and butter over medium-high heat. Remove chicken to platter.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir the onion, celery, pepper and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, herbs, garlic and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Serve over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Cacciatore
"Great meal to make ahead. I use chicken thighs and serve with mashed potatoes or soft polenta."
"Wonderful. Even my 9 year old grandson liked it and he is a picky eater. I just told him it was spaghetti."
"Did not use dry red wine, I used 1 cup of water. Tasteless! Was very surprised after adding all those ingredients. Very disappointed."
"Good, especially after the first day (take the meat off the bones and add back to the sauce). In my opinion, the sauce needs salt."
"One word: AMAZING! It's been permanently added to my recipe collection. Even my SUPER picky husband loved it. Actually, I'm making it as our first meal in our brand new house next week to break in the new kitchen. YUMMY!"
"This recipe has become a favorite in our family. I make it according to the recipe, doubling everything, through the 30 min. cooking. Then I freeze it in 2 cup containers. When ready to use it, I brown my chicken, beef, sausage or whatever I am using, add the thawed sauce, cover and cook for the additional 45 - 60 min. Delicious!"
"This was really good, because I am an alcoholic I made it without the wine. Before admitting to alcoholism I cooked with wine or what recipe called for under the impression that the alcohol cooked away. Can anyone tell me if it does or doesn't?jThndr2!"
"This chicken was delicious and very tender, the sauce was excellent. My husband loved it!! I will make it again.Diane"