Chicken Cacciatore Skillet Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons broth until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the green pepper, mushrooms, bay leaf, oregano, basil, pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Add the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add the spaghetti sauce; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 250 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Chicken Cacciatore Skillet
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.