- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons broth until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the green pepper, mushrooms, bay leaf, oregano, basil, pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Add the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add the spaghetti sauce; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Cacciatore Skillet
Sort By :
"This is a one pot meal if you have a jar of meatless sghetti sauce. If not, you can make your own. Took an hour to make the complete recipe. Undercook the rice so it isn't mushy when combining with the sghetti sauce. Omitted the 'rooms & gr. pepper. Serve with Parmesan cheese."