In her Douglas, Arizona kitchen, Norma Lavanchy cooks up hearty helpings of this easy entree. I"m always experimenting with different ways to fix chicken," she says. "This was an instant success the first time I tried it."
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons broth until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the green pepper, mushrooms, bay leaf, oregano, basil, pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Add the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add the spaghetti sauce; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Cacciatore Skillet in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p63
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Cacciatore Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review