- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and green pepper in oil until chicken is lightly browned and vegetables are tender. Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Cacciatore Over Rice
"Family said this recipe was a keeper. Pretty high praise."
"Awesome recipe. I am a firefighter and I cook this for the guys at work. They loved it. I doubled the recipe added mushrooms, and crush red pepper to it. Cooked it over fettuccine. It is on our rotation for dinner at work."
"I served this last night over brown rice and my family loved it. My 6 year old said the he liked the ice cream we had for dessert better. I can't imagine why."
"This was a wonderful quick recipe. I was lucky enough to have some fresh herbs growing so I used about 1 tbsp of fresh parsley, 1 tsp of fresh oregano, 1/2 tsp of fresh basil and a fresh bay leaf."
"I really liked it. I also added fresh mushrooms."
"easy and ingredients you about alwys hve on hand"
"This recipe is very flavorful if you use 2 green peppers, make it in the morning and let it sit all day. The flavors really intensify. I serve it with penne. Italians call it Hunters's Stew"
"Awesome recipe, we all loved it. Served with spaghetti noodles since husband does not like rice. Easy and Tastey!"
"I added a bay leaf and some thyme. Turned out real good. healthy too!"
"Awesome and very very easy, whole family loved it!"