Chicken Cacciatore for Four Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup whole pitted ripe olives
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Remove chicken to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Add the tomatoes, pearl onions, broth, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil; pour over chicken.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Add olives; bake 15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Serve with pasta. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Cacciatore for Four
"Absolutely great - whole family loved it and I love that this recipe allowed me to appeal to everyone's appetites! My changes based solely on my family's preferences: Used boneless skinless breast and didn't brown. Low simmered sauce 30 min. before adding to chicken. Also saut?ed green peppers into the sauce and added more mushrooms. My daughter said she could smell the sauce outside the house before she came in from after school activities, and couldn't wait for dinner. Served with spaghetti noodles broken in half, green salad and crusty bread. Thanks for the recipe!"
"I made a slight deviation, due to ingredient availability in the house and timesaving, I used a Tablespoon of prepared pesto in lieu of the dried basil, oregano, thyme and bay. I believe most all of those ingredients were in the pesto. The dish was easy to prepare and absolutely delicious. I will definitely make this again as everyone in the family enjoyed it."
"This is the best chicken Cacciatore I have ever eaten. The only change that I made was to leave out the mushrooms."
"Wonderful!! Even my pickey 6yr old liked it."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.