Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on all sides.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with onions, green pepper and mushrooms. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, salt, oregano and basil; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Cacciatore(11)
Sort By :
very good and easy
I made this yesterday for dinner. It was really simple, and I did make some alterations. I used chicken breasts instead of bone in chicken and I didn't have diced tomatoes, so I cut up canned whole tomatoes. I did double the spices as per other review suggestions, but used garlic powder instead of garlic cloves. Boiled some linguine and took the chicken out and stirred the noodles into the sauce. It was tasty, but it's definitely lacking something. Not entirely sure what tho. I will make it again to play with it some. Wish I had tomato sauce or paste to add to it, will try that next time and probably increase the spices, or actually get fresh garlic heh.
I am not a very good cook but this recipe looked easy. It turned out great! I used fresh tomatoes (about 8) from my garden and chicken breasts. Only problem was that there weren't enough left-overs. I'll have to make it again - soon. Thanks.
This is a tasty dish. I used stewed tomatoes, added fresh celery and extra garlic, only cause you can never have enough garlic IMHO.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Cacciatore >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >