Chicken Burritos Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 8 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 24 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in tomatoes, seasonings and, if desired, jalapeno. Cook 5 minutes. Add chili and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in chicken.
- 2. Spoon about 1/2 cup filling across center of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1/4 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese. Fold bottom and sides over filling and roll up. Place in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes.
Bake, covered, 35-40 minutes or until heated through. If desired, serve with salsa.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake as directed, increasing baking time to 50-55 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 160°. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
2 burritos: 760 calories, 44g fat (23g saturated fat), 177mg cholesterol, 1608mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 51g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Burritos
"FABULOUS FILLING! I did make the entire recipe with the exception of using only half can of chili with beans and 10 8" tortillas (for one casserole dish). I didn't put cheese inside burritos. I chose to top stuffed burritos with a thin layer of salsa and heavy layer of Mexican blend cheese. With the remaining mixture I chose to make a Mexican chicken soup. To mixture I added- 2 cups chicken broth, remaining half can of chili w/beans, and 1 cup of corn. Bring to boil. Simmer for 20 min. Pour soup over tortilla chips and top with lettuce, shredded cheese and a dap of sour cream. YUMMO!"
"I split this into three pans of 8 burritos for my smaller family."
"My Husband and 2 teenage boys absolutely LOVE these!! As a working Mom they take more time than I usually spend on a weekday, but so totally worth it, especially since the is another nights dinner in the freezer!!"
"I cut the recipe in half and used black beans instead of canned chili. This recipe has nice flavor but I prefer a drier filling for my burritos."
"I cut the recipe in half as we are a family of 3 and have no freezer space. This is definitely a keeper Mexican recipe. Used the jalapeno which gave it a nice little kick and Mexican cheese rather than Colby-Monterey Jack. Brought leftovers for my coworkers for lunch and they loved it as well."
"This is a tasty recipe. I didn't have any chili with beans and I cut back on the jalapenos but the sauce still had a good flavor. This recipe had more than enough filling for 14 large tortillas."
"This is one of my favorite chicken fillings for burritos and enchiladas. The cream cheese makes them extra creamy and special. This recipe is super easy to tweek and make your own. Leave out the chili and beans add in salsa. The ideas and possibilities are endless!"
"I didn't exactly follow the recipe on this one. I only used about 2 cups of shredded chicken and then cooked 2 c. of instant rice and threw that in and left out the cream cheese. Then instead of rolling and baking, we just filled our shells as we ate them. The flavor was excellent. Hubby not only had seconds (which is rare) he had thirds!!!"
"This was so, so awesome. I'm not an onion person so I left those out, and DH isn't a green pepper person so we left those out as well. Since we didn't use those, I didn't need the butter or flour either. I just threw chicken breasts, broth, tomatoes and seasoning in the crockpot and cooked on high for 4 hours. At the very end, I added the chili and cream cheese and cooked an additional 30 minutes. Then I made the burritos and cooked as directed. It was SO easy and SO delicious! I just ate the leftovers for lunch and they were just as great the next day."
"Very easy and makes a good amount, so it is great for freezing one, sharing one, or for feeding a large group of people. We did not add the jalapeno peppers, but it was great even without them. Nice flavor, easy to make."
"This is an easy recipe. we ate some and I made up the rest and wrapped them with wax paper and put in a gallon freezer bag so we can take them out as we want."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.