- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 8 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 24 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in tomatoes, seasonings and, if desired, jalapeno. Cook 5 minutes. Add chili and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in chicken.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup filling across center of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1/4 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese. Fold bottom and sides over filling and roll up. Place in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes.
- Bake, covered, 35-40 minutes or until heated through. If desired, serve with salsa. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken Burritos
Sort By :
"FABULOUS FILLING! I did make the entire recipe with the exception of using only half can of chili with beans and 10 8" tortillas (for one casserole dish). I didn't put cheese inside burritos. I chose to top stuffed burritos with a thin layer of salsa and heavy layer of Mexican blend cheese. With the remaining mixture I chose to make a Mexican chicken soup. To mixture I added- 2 cups chicken broth, remaining half can of chili w/beans, and 1 cup of corn. Bring to boil. Simmer for 20 min. Pour soup over tortilla chips and top with lettuce, shredded cheese and a dap of sour cream. YUMMO!"
"I split this into three pans of 8 burritos for my smaller family."
"My Husband and 2 teenage boys absolutely LOVE these!! As a working Mom they take more time than I usually spend on a weekday, but so totally worth it, especially since the is another nights dinner in the freezer!!"
"I cut the recipe in half and used black beans instead of canned chili. This recipe has nice flavor but I prefer a drier filling for my burritos."
"I cut the recipe in half as we are a family of 3 and have no freezer space. This is definitely a keeper Mexican recipe. Used the jalapeno which gave it a nice little kick and Mexican cheese rather than Colby-Monterey Jack. Brought leftovers for my coworkers for lunch and they loved it as well."