- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Whisk half into eggs; return all to pan. Cook and stir over low heat for about 1 minute or until mixture reaches at least 160°. Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and cayenne. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Add the chicken, broccoli, carrot, parsley, pepper and remaining salt; cook for 3 minutes. Spread 1/2 cup of the Parmesan custard mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Layer with a third of the noodles, half of the chicken mixture, 1/2 cup Parmesan custard, a third of the mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, mozzarella and Parmesan custard. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Broccoli Lasagna
"I have made this numerous times. My husband does not like the traditional lasagna but he loves this. I often half the recipe, using 2 eggs and bake in an 8x8 pan. Yum Yum!"