Chicken Bites with Apricot Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1. Pour 1/2 cup buttermilk into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Place flour in another resealable plastic bag. In a third bag, combine the cornflakes, onion powder, garlic salt, salt, oregano and pepper. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and remaining buttermilk.
- 2. Drain chicken; add to flour and shake to coat. Coat with egg mixture, then add to cornflake mixture and shake to coat. Arrange chicken in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear. In a small bowl, combine apricot preserves and mustard. Serve with chicken. Yield: 2 dozen (1 cup sauce).
1 appetizer with 2 teaspoons sauce equals 91 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 starch.