Chicken Biscuit Stew Recipe
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon each curry powder, salt, pepper, ground cumin and ginger
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the carrots, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Combine the flour, water and wine or broth until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in yogurt, peas and seasonings. Transfer to a shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; keep warm.
- 2. For biscuits, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in yogurt and parsley. Drop eight mounds over warm chicken mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and stew bubbles around the edges. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 cup stew with 2 biscuits) equals 413 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 895 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.