Chicken Bean Stew
Tired of more traditional beef stews? Give this recipe a try. Featuring chicken and beans, it's tasty, unique and chock-full of goodness, too.Bean Education and Awareness Network, Scottsbluff, Nebraska
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion, green pepper and garlic
- in oil until tender. Add the chicken; cook and stir over medium heat
- until juices run clear, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining
- ingredients. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes.
- Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 222 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 446 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 16 g protein.