Chicken Bean Soup
"This easy soup is tasty and nutritious, too," notes Phyllis Shaughnessy of Livonia, New York. "I like to top individual bowls with a few sprigs of fresh parsley. Home-baked rolls- I use frozen bread dough- are an added treat."
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained or 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 cup frozen peas and pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on
- low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Yield: 12
- servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 159 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.