Chicken Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large stockpot, cook chicken in water until tender. Cool broth and skim off fat. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes. Return meat to pan along with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 5 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Barley Soup
Sort By :
"My family and I loved it. Ty for the recipe. The only thing I did was to add chicken base. Very filling. Will make many more times."
"Loved it as is. I can also think of several ways to change it up. This is definitely a keeper."
"This has been one of our family's favorite soup recipes since it was first published. We have 6 children & all of them still ask for it, some make it for themselves now! I use 3 chicken breasts instead of the whole chicken because none of us cares for the dark meat of the chicken. Other than that, I follow the recipe--excellent!"
"Good soup, although I did feel it needed more salt and chicken base."
"Perfect soup. I had pre-cooked a chicken and a few breasts in my crock pot. I used it in this with 8 cups of low sodium chicken broth. Great recipe- thank you!"