Chicken Barley Soup
No question—this is my favorite soup! It's so filling that I serve it as a hearty main dish, and I have given the recipe to many of our friends and relatives. (Especially with the barley, it simply tastes too good to keep to yourself!)
5 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + cooling Cook: 1 hour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large stockpot, cook chicken in water until tender. Cool broth
- and skim off fat. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes.
- Return meat to pan along with remaining ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables
- and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 5 servings (about
- 1-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared without bouillon and salt) equals 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 259 calories, 127 mg sodium, 89 mg cholesterol, 22 gm carbohydrate, 31 gm protein, 5 gm fat.