- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large stockpot, cook chicken in water until tender. Cool broth and skim off fat. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes. Return meat to pan along with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 5 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Barley Soup
"Full of spiced-up flavor. Roast chicken in soup formI I need to experiment more with the amount of barley. Also be aware that you will have to add liquid if you have any left over to reheat. My mom, sister and I all enjoyed this. I will definitely make it again when the weather turns chilly again."
"I came back to this recipe after making it two weeks ago. The broth really is delicious."
"This is one of the best recipes I have ever tried. This is absolutely delicious and very filling. I normally prefer the creamier soups so for this to hit a 5 star rating from me says a LOT about the quality."
"Very good and healthy soup! I used chicken breast, and instead of water used fat free chicken broth, I was out of bay leaves, so used thyme instead. Will be making this again for sure!"
"Delicious! The only thing extra that I added was 1/4 teaspoon of celery seed & 2 stalks of celery. My family loved it."