9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until
- tender. Add the water, tomato sauce, broth, tomatoes, barley, chili
- powder, cumin and garlic powder; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken. Cover and
- simmer for 5 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 9
- servings (about 2 quarts).
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato
, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now